This weekend, I got through all the back splash that was on the "wall" - now all that's left is that little ledge over the sink which I can guarantee you if going to involve a stream of swears flowing out of my mouth. It is very angle-y, so, I know it's going to try my patience. Hopefully I can finish it all this weekend. It's a big goal, but, seriously, I have been working on this backsplash for too long.
Here is a newly tiled, not yet grouted, area which is nothing to "wow" over.
The unfortunate part of tiling that area was the outlet on the right that bit me. Lesson #... oh, who's counting at this point... Even if you think you're hands are dry enough, but may be slightly damp, don't touch the damn electrical outlet! I have handled the metal part where it screws into the wall a million times without gloves and the electricity on, but, I guess, never with slightly damp hands. I dried them on a dish towel, but I guess since my fingers were practically prunes from rinsing off mortar every two seconds, it was impossible to dry them completely. I let out a scream that scared the crap out of the Husband. I haven't been shocked since I was four when I decided to find out what would happen if I put my finger on the metal plug as I inserted into the extension cord. Never did that again. Anyway.
The Husband also got around to installing the molding at the top of the cabinets - IKEA calls it the "deco strip". We ended up putting it in with construction adhesive since all other ways of attachment with screws/nails post-cabinet installation was messy. It's hardly an area that gets "traffic" so, glue is fine. Hopefully he will get to molding that goes at the bottom of the upper cabinet this weekend. That'll help hide upper seam of the backsplash and also hide under cabinet lighting should we ever choose to install it.
Oh, and I splurged on a red kitchen accessory that was 50% off at Target ($7). For now, I've got my wooden spoons in there and if I ever decide I need a different color, I can spray paint it.